JemmTron™ Corona Treater Epoxy Roll Patch Kits are a two part, low viscosity epoxy adhesive. This easy-to-use epoxy patch cures at room temperature and develops a strong, low shrinkage bond to most materials. It is ideal for patching silicones, epoxies, and ceramic roller coverings and will fully cure in 24 hours.
- Dry to the touch in 30 minutes and fully cured in 24 hours
- Easy to use
This item is sold in a pack of (5).
One of the weakest components in current corona treating equipment is the dielectric. This dielectric can either be in the form of a roller covering or a coated electrode. Repairing coated electrodes, in most cases involves simple replacement, whereas repairing roller coverings have been done for years. Regardless of whether the coating is a Hypalon, EPDM, Silicone (sleeve or Bonded), Epoxy or Ceramic, patching a pinhole in the coating is possible.
It is recommended that a non-conductive material, such as an epoxy or unfilled silicone be used for the patch. The key is to try and select a material that will fill the hole with minimal porosity, adhere to the dielectric and have minimal shrinkage. For the purpose of this article, we will reference JemmTron™ Corona Treater Epoxy Roll Patch Kits two-part epoxy patch kit as the patching material.
- Identify the hole. Dielectrics other than ceramic will usually have a visible hole surrounded by burnt black areas. To identify the less obvious holes in ceramic, it may be necessary to use a handheld pinhole tester to identify the area.
- Once the hole or holes are identified, the next step is to clean the hole, making sure all of the burnt areas are removed, as these areas are now most likely conductive due to the presence of carbon. When patching ceramic, it will be necessary to use a drill with a diamond drill bit, in order to clean out the hole and to remove all of the surrounding contaminants. Once the hole is cleaned out, carefully clean and dry all of the surfaces to be bonded.
Tip: In the perfect theoretical world, the hole should be shaped like a cone, so that the patching material can flow down one side of the cone, forcing the air up and out of the hole.
- Using the JemmTron™ Corona Treater Epoxy Roll Patch Kits, remove the clamp and thoroughly mix the adhesive system components in the mixing-dispenser package until the color is uniform.
- Apply the mixture to the prepared surface, trying to reduce the amount of entrapped air in the mixture and at the points between the mixture and the dielectric coating.
- Allow the patch to cure for 24 hours at room temperature. In most situations, applying a good dielectric tape over the patched surface will enable earlier operation. JemmTron™ Corona Treater Epoxy Roll Patch Kits will fully cure in 4 hours at temperatures of 150°F, which is a typical treater roll operating temperature.
If the tape is causing a backside treat, it can be removed after the adhesive is fully cured